While many of the books that I review are books that I have purchased or borrowed from libraries, I do accept some review copies.
I am fairly selective about accepting review copies, so don’t be offended if I don’t review yours. There just aren’t enough hours in the day for me to read everything I would like to! Likewise, I don’t send a personal response for every review request that I don’t accept. I greatly appreciate every review request, and I want to support all of the authors I can. However, I get a lot of requests, and if I spent all my time responding to each and every one that I don’t accept, then I wouldn’t have time for blogging.
I can’t make any guarantees as to exactly when a review will be posted. I try read any review copies that I receive within a month (or two, depending), but I don’t make any promises. I work full time and try to have a small social life outside of my blog. Sometimes I get busy, and don’t post as many reviews as I’d like. Sometimes I get behind and have to play catch up. My apologies in advance.
If you are an author/publicist/publisher/etc. and would like me to review one of your books, please see the following guidelines:
- I only accept books that have been professionally edited. I don’t want to feel like I need to whip out a red pen while reading. While I prefer traditionally published books, well-edited indie books are also welcome.
- I prefer to accept print review copies. I like to read in the bathtub, and electronics and water don’t mix. I do have a Kindle, but bear in mind that I will take longer to read and review electronic books.
- I am willing to review books either before or after they have been released. Older books are welcome.
- If I publish a review of your book, I am willing to conduct an author interview as well. Let me know in your query if you are interested, and I’ll get back to you once I’ve finished reading the book.
- I cross post excerpts and links to my reviews on Goodreads. I am willing to post reviews to Amazon upon request.
- I do not use a star-based rating system on my blog. Different people like different books for different reasons, and I’d like my reviews to reflect that.
- I am most likely to accept review requests from the genres of fantasy, sci-fi, and literary or historical fiction. I particularly enjoy books that are in some way related to Russia. Most of the books that I read are aimed at adults, but I also accept YA novels.
- I do NOT accept romance, thrillers, mysteries, self-help books, or Christian fiction (unless it’s Christian historical fiction, which is different). I also don’t like depressing books. There are enough depressing things in real life. If it’s a tear-jerker, I’m probably gonna hate it.
Review requests should be submitted via e-mail to grace (dot) troxel (at) gmail (dot) com.
Comments make me happy. This includes comments from authors, who are more than welcome to stop by. I reserve the right to delete any comments that aren’t civil/respectful. As of writing this policy, I’ve never had to do that, which is one of the reasons why I love the blogosphere so much.
Questions? Comments? Any miscellaneous feedback can be directed to me via e-mail at grace (dot) troxel (at) gmail (dot) com.
While I sure you are already aware of this gem, it was only brought to my attention after a Wall Street Journal article mentioned it. Life and Fate,